I recently got a Makerbot 3D printer, and I’ve been having a whole lot of fun using it to make silly things.
Last night, though, I made my first legitimately beautiful object: The Maltese Falcon.
It took about seven hours to make, and these pictures show it inside my Replicator 2 (yes, I have a Replicator in my office. No, it does not make Tea, Earl Grey, Hot … yet), after I cleaned off the supports and took it off the raft.
It turns out the supports were very important. Here’s what happened when I tried to print it without the supports:
For those of you who are interested in specs, I did this with 5% infill, 3 shells, on high resolution.
And for those of you who are interested in all the stuff I’ve made so far, here’s most of my collection: